Zooey Deschanel Nearly Turned Down New Girl for The Office

Over the years, it has been revealed that a number of stars were meant to star in The Office. From Seth Rogan to Kathryn Hahn, there has been plenty of actors that just missed the opportunity to appear in the popular sitcom. But now we are finding out that New Girl superstar Zooey Deschanel nearly missed the chance to play Jessica Day after nearly taking a job at The Office!

The actress revealed that before taken the main role in New Girl, she actually was considering an arc on The Office. While it was a smaller role, Deschanel was ready to accept a role on The Office before taking on the New Girl role. Before either jobs were offered to the actress, she had only appeared on movies. Big hits such as 500 Days of Summer and Elf to name a few. But with TV projects heading her way, both The Office and New Girl could have been very different!

Deschanel explained in her new podcast Welcome to Our Show:

“I was all set to do it, we were kind of just negotiating, and then I got the script for ‘New Girl,’ and honestly, if I hadn’t thought in my mind that I was going to do this arc on ‘The Office,’ I wouldn’t have even been open to reading a TV script”.

She then continues to explain that the Fox comedy enticed her after she laughed out loud while reading the script on a plane. The seven season show also had massive appeal for Deschanel. This is because it offered her the chance to play a character for a long period of time.

“It’s actually a great opportunity because I can play this character for hopefully a longer period of time and kind of get into the character in a deeper way than if I were just doing it for two hours and that’s it. At the time, you either were a movie actor or a TV actor”.

The office cast
Credit: NBC

She continued:

“There wasn’t really any crossover. I hadn’t really thought that much about doing TV, and at the time, I started watching a few comedies on TV, and I was like, ‘You know what? This seems like a pretty fun thing to do’. I was watching a lot of ’30 Rock’ and ‘The Office,’ and I was like, ‘Maybe I’d like to do something like this”.

The post Zooey Deschanel Nearly Turned Down New Girl for The Office appeared first on Binge Season.


Post a Comment

0 Comments